1 lb cavatappi
6 slices bacon, diced
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% milk
1/2 tsp onion flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese (4oz)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4oz)
8 slices Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese
1. Heat oven to 350. Coat a 3-qt broiler safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Cook cavatappi 8 minutes in boiling water, then drain. Meanwhile, in med-size saucepan, cook bacon over medium until crisp, 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels. Carefully pour off drippings, returning 2 tablespoons to pan. Add butter.
3. Whisk in flour until smooth. In a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in oinion flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. In large bowl, toss together cheddar, colby-jack and mozzarella.
4. Remove milk mixture from heat; whisk in American cheese and 1 1/4 c. cheddar mixture. Toss bacon pieces with remaining cheddar cheese.
5. In pasta pot, combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Pour half into prepared dish. Sprinkle with a generous cup of the bacon-cheese mixture. Repeat layering.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Increase oven temp to broil and broil 3 minutes until top is lightly browning. Cool slightly before serving.
12 servings, 404 calories, 21 g fat.
**Awesome! Great recipe to freeze for later!