Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/4 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 10 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Simmer 2 cups broth and potato in a small saucepan. Cook 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Transfer potato mixture to a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid spills). Blend until smooth. Set mixture aside.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, celery, and carrot to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, and milk in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick; stir constantly with a whisk. Add potato mixture, sharp cheddar cheese, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) to pan; cook for 1 minute or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Add beer to pan; bring to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with black pepper, if desired.
- Calories:363 (30% from fat)
- Fat:12.2g (sat 7.7g,mono 3.5g,poly 0.6g)